Louisiana Tech students, faculty earn accolades from Louisiana Dietetic Association
Students and faculty from Louisiana Tech University’s School of Human Ecology have been recognized by the Louisiana Dietetic Association (LDA) and afforded the honor of presenting to the membership at the 2010 Annual Meeting and Food and Nutrition Conference in Lake Charles. Louisiana Tech students were also awarded two of the LDA’s four scholarships with another receiving this year’s Outstanding Dietetic Intern Award. “LDA provides us with a wonderful opportunity to showcase Louisiana Tech’s dietetic programs, our students and faculty,” said Dr. Janet Pope, professor and associate dean for undergraduate studies in Louisiana Tech’s College of Applied and Natural Sciences. “Many LDA members are alumni of Louisiana Tech, and they always enjoy visiting with faculty and students and learning about Tech’s current research and outreach efforts. It is especially exciting to see so many of our undergraduate students have the opportunity to present at a state-wide professional meeting.” Six poster presentations were given by teams of Tech students and faculty members, along with collaborators from other institutions.
- The development of a low-fat, reduced sugar, gluten-free granola bar that is a good source of iron, thiamin, riboflavin and niacin (Garrett J. Serd, Sherryl R. Smith, and Christina E. Corkern).
- The development of a reduced sugar, lower saturated fat, lower cholesterol, and higher fiber oatmeal raisin cookie (Hallie Dodson, Lisa Westmoreland, and Melissa Scala).
- Comparison of two methods of delivery of diabetes education in a hospital sponsored diabetes education program (Lisa Post, Alice Hunt, Janet Pope, and Yeonsoo Kim).
- Assessing the effectiveness of the Smart Bodies program in knowledge transfer and anthropometric changes among children in 1st grade through 5th grade (Sherryl Smith, Garrett Serd, Melissa Scala, Yeonsoo Kim, Mary Murimi and Cathy Judd (extension agent with the LSU Agricultural Center)).
- Outcomes of patients who attended 1-4 scheduled appointments at a diabetes center (Meghan Tooke Kavanaugh, Alice Hunt, Janet Pope and Yeonsoo Kim).
- Dietary patterns in children from low income single parent households (Chelsey Davis, Juhee Lee, Yunsook Lim, and Yeonsoo Kim).