COLLEGE OF APPLIED & NATURAL SCIENCES
Program Goals and Objectives
Dietetic Internship Mission Statement
To prepare dietetic interns to become competent entry-level registered dietitian nutritionists who are employed in the field of dietetics; to provide service to their profession and community; while emphasizing research and continuation of graduate studies.
Program Goals and Objectives for 2017-24
Goal 1 – The Dietetic Internship Program will prepare interns to be competent entry-level registered dietitian nutritionists who complete the program within 150% of program length, who gain employment in the field of dietetics within 12 months of program completion, and who provide service to their profession and community.
- Objective 1: 100% of preceptors who respond to the Supervising Dietitians Evaluation will “agree” interns are prepared for entry level practice upon completion of the DI program.
- Objective 2: At least 80% of graduates who respond to the Post Graduate- DI Program Evaluation will report that they have provided service to the community (eg. Wellness fairs, presentations, etc.) after completion of the DI.
- Objective 3: At least 80% of program interns complete program/degree requirements within 150% of the coordinate program.
- Objective 4: At least 80% of program graduates will take the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion.
- Objective 5: The program’s one-year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
- Objective 6: Of graduates who seek employment, 90 percent are employed in nutrition and dietetics or related fields within 12 months of graduation.
- Objective 7: 100% of employers who respond to the Employer Questionnaire will indicate their employees (former interns) “are satisfactorily prepared” for entry level practice.
- Objective 8: – 100% of the students who complete the DI and respond to the Post Graduate- DI Program Evaluation will “agree” they developed competence in using outcomes-based research in practice.
- Objective 9: – Annually, at least 4 students who have completed the graduate program will have their research accepted for a professional presentation or manuscript.
Goal 2- The dietetic internship program will prepare interns to provide nutrition care in a society that is growing in diversity.
- Objective 1: Create a learning environment that promotes diversity with intentional educational opportunities that expose 100% of students annually to issues of diversity within our profession.
- Objective 2: We will document an increase in recruitment efforts to attract and retain diverse interns and preceptors through feeder universities that are identified as a pipeline for admitting diverse students.
- Objective 3: Over a three-year period, 100% of internship cohorts will reflect the diversity of the community in which the university resides.