COLLEGE OF APPLIED & NATURAL SCIENCES
By completing this internship, dietetic interns will be prepared to become a competent entry-level registered dietitian nutritionists employed in the field of dietetics.
Program features include:
- Our next Dietetic Internship class will begin Sept.1, 2023, and will be coordinated with the Master of Science program. Expected completion will be by Winter 2024/Spring 2025.
- Fall quarter courses are hybrid, and students are not expected to move from their permanent location until November 2023.
- Master’s coursework follows the academic calendar of the university. Specific program calendar will be available in the Dietetic Internship handbook for the September 2023 cohort.
- Undergraduate students are eligible to apply for Fall 2023 admittance if they have completed their undergraduate degree by August 2023.
- Program Emphasis is on Medical Nutrition Therapy.
- The Official Louisiana Tech University Calendar is observed.
- Interns complete practicum assignments in one of three geographical areas of Louisiana (Shreveport, Alexandria, or Ruston/Monroe).
- 1,200 hours of supervised practice is combined with graduate coursework.
- Interns rotate through a variety of facilities, which may include acute and long-term care, school food services, wellness centers, community nutrition programs, dialysis centers, rehabilitation centers, and private practice to complete clinical, pediatric, renal, school nutrition and management rotations for dietetics.
- Interns are not required to locate their facilities or preceptors in their city.
- Periodic on-campus seminar classes will be scheduled.
- A mandatory RDN exam review course is required during the program. Minimum scores on practice exams are required to earn verification statements to sit for the RDN examination by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.